Companies that generate PDF files for end-users and record-keeping deal with different kinds of reports. These are electronic invoices, medical test results, copies of customer communications, and many other PDF documents. Multiple types of PDFs are also used within a single company and are additionally customized.
Therefore, every business using HTML to PDF conversion depends on the document formatting capabilities of their software. The more you can customize styling and layout, the more flexibility you have in terms of PDF reports.
An HTML to PDF API connected to your system allows you to generate custom documents programmatically on a large scale. HTML to PDF APIs include extensive styling and layout capabilities for automated customization of generated PDFs. By changing several values, developers can configure the look and functionality of the final PDF. You get a chance to add an HTML to PDF footer on every page, insert an image file, configure headers and footers, etc.
Find out more about the styling and layout capabilities available in HTML to PDF APIs here. We will also explain how to add a logo to PDF, include an HTML to PDF footer on every page, and give other tips.
Why Do You Need Formatting Capabilities in HTML to PDF Conversion Software?
Despite being used in many web solutions, HTML to PDF conversion may be difficult to run properly. Developers working on such software often face formatting issues, lose information in the course of the conversion, and have other problems. For example, the configuration of HTML to PDF footer on every page is one of the common challenges. Page numbers, image files, logos may also result in messy final PDF files.
HTML to PDF APIs with styling and layout enables you to prevent conversion issues from the start. You get the means to set up PDF generation rules and avoid troubleshooting. Apart from facilitated software development, HTML to PDF APIs with customizable document parameters bring other opportunities:
- Smoother web pages to PDF conversion. When you configure formatting settings, the chance of document conversion issues is much lower. You can then create PDFs in large volumes without serious issues.
- Higher accuracy of reports. When layout problems occur, some source information may be lost. The generated PDF sometimes does not display images, logos, or text pieces. An HTML to PDF API with formatting capabilities allows engineers to troubleshoot such issues for more accurate document conversion.
- Enhanced record-keeping and compliance. Reliable HTML to PDF rendering enables you to store copies of HTML source data automatically. You don’t have to worry about losing some details during document conversion and related compliance issues.
- Increased document rendering flexibility. HTML to PDF APIs with layout settings allow you to quickly change the format of documents and create new types of reports. It’s a considerable advantage if your company handles multiple types of documents and frequently updates their format.
- Better user experience. Even if mistakes in documents don’t disturb you, they can irritate your customers. An electronic invoice with missing fields or a distorted logo affects their experience. Therefore, using converters with advanced styling capabilities increases the quality of your customer communications and overall brand image.
The listed advantages make companies prefer HTML to PDF conversion software with formatting capabilities. By adding such HTML to PDF APIs on top of their current systems, they can leverage a complete set of PDF styling and layout features.
Styling and Layout Features in HTML to PDF APIs
Below, we will cover the main styling and layout capabilities a high-quality HTML to PDF API should have. Learn what to look for in rendering software, how to add a logo to PDF, and other hacks.
HTML to PDF Footer on Every Page and Headers
With headers and footers as a part of an HTML file, an HTML to PDF API will render them for you smoothly and easily, with no need for post-edits.
Customized Layout, Size, and Dimensions
With customized layout capabilities, you can change the document dimensions and orientation. For example, create a PDF report 5.5 x 8.5 inches in size instead of a standard 8.5 x 11 document.
CSS Flexbox Support
HTML to PDF APIs that support CSS Flexbox layouts give you access to flexbox capabilities. You can adjust the collection of items in any direction, rearrange them, and change the layout in many other ways to get a nice final PDF.
An HTML to PDF API that provides styling capabilities allows you to generate PDF files with different fonts. This way, you can customize the look of the content.
High-Resolution Image Rendering
Be it an SVG, JPG, PNG, GIF (static), TIFF, or any other web media format, as long as they’re a part of your HTML, Inkit Render will effortlessly and automatically render a high-resolution image from HTML into PDF.
In case your HTML to PDF API does not support the high-res image rendering, you’ll need to manually edit the resulting PDF. Open the PDF, click Add Watermark, select the images, choose the settings, and insert the image. These steps are rather time-consuming, though, so we’d recommend an HTML to PDF API that enables you to transfer images from source HTML to PDF programmatically.
Page Breaks, Margins, and Crop Marks
Using an HTML to PDF conversion API, you can customize standard page breaks, margins, and crop marks. It allows you to arrange the content within a page and prepare PDF documents for printing. Files with configured breaks and margins always look more neat and professional.
Links, Bookmarks, and Footnotes
In addition to the listed styling and layout capabilities, an HTML to PDF API also enables you to add links, specify bookmarks, include footnotes, and more. You can create practically any kind of documents you need without the need to post-edit PDFs in Adobe Acrobat PDF editor.
Use Inkit Render HTML to PDF API to Programmatically Customize Your Documents
Render is an HTML to PDF API provided as one of the products in the Inkit Reach Enablement Platform. You can layer it into your existing software to power it with automated HTML to PDF conversion. API integration saves your engineering team from the lengthy development of PDF rendering functionality. Reliable HTML to PDF conversion features become available in a day.
Apart from easy integration, Render also ensures rich document styling and layout capabilities. You can customize HTML to PDF footer on every page, add meta-data, leverage CSS Flexbox, and more. Such a broad functionality makes Render suitable for all types of PDF documents created with software in any programming language.
Want to learn more about Render and get the demo? Contact us now.