Making payments and getting paid is the mantra of every business. However, for most organizations, financial processes often drain the resources of the business. Did you know that the average employee in a small business spends about 17 hours per month on financial processes alone? This translates to more than two working days on activities unrelated to their hired role.
To keep up, most companies employ invoicing and accounting tools operating on HTML to PDF converters. The upside to a Portable Document Format (PDF) invoices is that they are platform agnostic, secure, and retain formatting across devices.
In this article, we'll discuss how to integrate PDF invoicing functionality within different types of invoicing software. We'll also explore key factors to consider before deciding on the right HTML to PDF Converter API for invoicing tools, and review the PDF invoice creation process offered by the well-known invoicing software platforms.
What Is a PDF Invoice?
A PDF invoice is a template with fillable text fields detailing a financial transaction. These fields may include contact information, an invoice number, payment terms, and a description of goods or services. With PDF invoices, users can open and review a document without the need to acquire software the original documents were built with.
Why Use a PDF Format Invoice
- Ease of use. PDF invoices display content—graphics, fonts, formatting—the exact way it was created regardless of the device. With this, you can generate professional invoices without the hassle of misaligned fields.
- Document integrity. PDF features like digital signatures preserve the integrity of your invoice. Any modification after sealing the document invalidates the signature, indicating tampering.
- Security. PDF also provides a level of security that prevents unauthorized access. This is possible through the password protection feature.
Types Of Invoicing Tools
There are several invoicing software in the market for businesses of all sizes. Most invoice generators pre-generate invoices--or other documents--in HTML format and do on the flight HTML to PDF conversion whenever a user opens or downloads the document. This is why your invoicing tool must have a high-quality HTML to PDF converter integrated. That said, let's look at some online tools for invoicing and how their PDF invoice generation process looks like.
FreshBooks allows users to download free PDF invoice templates or create one. The latter offers auto-generated invoice numbers, status updates, and an automatic tax calculator.
Here's how to make a PDF invoice on FreshBooks:
- Open the FreshBooks account and click on Invoice at the upper menu tab
- Click on the +New Invoice icon
- Fill in the custom fields. (Business name, email address, product description, payment terms, etc.)
- Select Save as a Draft, Send by Email or Send as Snail Mail
Using this invoice maker, you can create invoices from over 100 free PDF templates. You can also add payment links that allow your customers to pay using credit cards or PayPal.
To make a PDF invoice on Invoice Home from your web browser:
- Open the tool to access a basic template
- Click on Switch Document to select the type of invoice you need (tax invoice, proforma, etc.)
- Click on Select Template to choose from the various options
- Add a logo or signature through the Select logo and Select Signature buttons
- Click on Advanced Form to activate a template that has more information (optional)
- Fill in the required fields for your transaction
- Click on Save & Continue
- Download a PDF copy of the invoice or send it by mail.
Like with the other tools, you can download a PDF invoice template or create an online invoice. To generate a PDF invoice on this invoice generator:
- Open the web tool to access a blank invoice template
- Fill in the fields
- Add a logo and select a brand color
- Click on the PDF button at the top of the page to download your PDF invoice.
Invoicebus allows users to create and send unlimited PDF invoices once they sign up. You can also generate PDF invoices from HTML, CSS, and other font files.
Below is how to make a PDF invoice on Invoicebus:
- Open the invoice maker web page to select a template
- Fill the required fields
- Click on the logo field to add yours
- Select the Download PDF button at the top left side of the page to get a copy
Or, click on the E-mail button on the upper right side to send the invoice as a PDF.