Making an online purchase comes with a unique rush: shipping. At some point, you are likely to have a customer who provides you the incorrect shipping address.
Bad mailing addresses cost you time, money, and resources.
If your company is in the business of fulfilling orders, you need to make sure that the mailing accuracy hits the mark in terms of customer expectations.
Putting an effective mail delivery strategy in place is one of the most impactful steps you can take to grow your business. Ensuring your mail gets delivered is vital. It provides a tangible impression of your brand to both current and prospective customers.
In this guide, we'll explore ways to improve the accuracy of mail delivery and provide some practical tips on how to prevent shipping errors.
What Is Mailing Accuracy?
Mailing accuracy is the consistency between a customer's order and what is delivered. It impacts customer experience and your store profit margin.
Customers with the best intentions make mistakes entering their contact information. Some errors you might come across include:
- misspelling, grammatical errors (double letters, spacing, etc.),
- wrong zip code,
- incomplete address,
- incorrect or missing numbers,
- incorrect suite numbers,
- invalid zip code,
- out-of-date records.
The invalid shipping addresses cause additional shipping costs and delayed deliveries. Disruptions have a domino effect: they impact every juncture throughout the supply chain.
If you want order fulfillment to be truly successful, you need to get good at it. And validating a shipping address can help to ensure the accurate delivery of your shipments. This is where address verification software comes in handy.
How to Improve Mailing Accuracy
Paper-and-pencil lists for order processing can work for smaller operations. However, large businesses can find that this method is not very efficient.
Automating address verification processes will directly impact your order accuracy rates and help prevent shipping errors.
Effective address verification tools offer numerous benefits. Such software can help to streamline workflows, increase your organization's productivity, and reduce expenses.
Address verification should be an integral part of a robust data governance plan. The verification checks should include correction of common errors, such as:
- Completion of incomplete addresses
- Correction of invalid addresses
- Residential or commercial address type verification
Specialized software with features aimed at automating and facilitating this process can help to ensure mail delivery accuracy.
How Does It Work?
It checks a mailing address against an authoritative database to see if it's valid. Addresses that do not match any addresses in the database are marked as "invalid." It means that the address either doesn't exist or isn't registered with the official address database.
When a customer is ready to make a purchase, the correct address is the most important data a company needs to receive. The success of a shipment depends on the validity of addresses.
Why Do Businesses Need to Care About Mailing Accuracy?
When your addresses are inaccurate, you are forced to waste time, resources, and capital. It can kill customer trust and damage your reputation. Lost packages can be bad for your business, and disappointed customers are likely to share their experiences online.
Reviewing your mailing processes can help reveal new opportunities for increased operational efficiency. Improving the accuracy of your order fulfillment operation is one of the most crucial steps involved in bringing your business to the next level.
- Getting it right. The biggest disaster is not meeting the expectations of your customers. Clients need to be sure that they'll be able to get their shipping without having to worry about it. Fast delivery is not only something consumers want – it's what they expect.
- Happy customers. Of more than 1,500 shoppers, 98% say that shipping impacts their brand loyalty. When customers have a positive delivery experience, they'll be more likely to shop with you again.
- Fewer delayed deliveries. Especially during the holiday season, customers are really concerned about delayed or missed deliveries. Getting a shipping address right will help mitigate unnecessary delays.
- Keeping up with demand. Businesses that have access to accurate information can better predict demand and respond to market conditions.
- Improved risk mitigation. By taking proactive action, your company can achieve leaner operations.
- Improved cash flow. With address verification software, you can make smarter decisions, reduce supply chain disruptions, and improve the bottom line.
- Reduced costs. Inaccurate addresses result in returned shipments and high redelivery fees. You will save significant time and money by improving mail delivery rates.
Due to rising costs, shipping optimization should be a priority for business owners. By better meeting your customers’ needs, you'll be able to make your operation more profitable. Shipping address validation will ensure that your shipments will arrive at the correct location.
What Industries Benefit from Mailing Accuracy?
To err is human, but the last thing a business owner wants is an error in the shipping address. Mailing accuracy is crucial for many businesses.
- eCommerce. One of the main ones is eCommerce. Having up-to-date contact address data has a significant impact on many aspects of online stores operations.
- Geomarketing. Geomarketing activities involve sending promotional material to a specific country or city.
- Inventory management. Inventory management involves picking, packing, and storing your goods in the right place.
- Warehousing. The goal of warehousing is to keep products safe and readily available while awaiting purchase.
- Transportation. The long distances and large volumes can be a challenge, and mailing accuracy is the key to ensuring efficient transportation.
Inaccurate shipping can have a considerable impact on your relationships with clients. Customers want the process to be accurate. They want to know that when they order something, they'll get what they need. If they can't trust you to meet that basic need, then they'll go elsewhere.
How Inkit Verify Helps with Mailing Accuracy
If you're looking for ways to improve the order accuracy of your operation and reduce costs, Inkit Verify will help streamline your address verification process. It's a robust shipping address verification tool allowing customers to select from a dropdown list of addresses when entering information at checkout. It validates shipping addresses before orders are processed.
Since Inkit Verify cross-references multiple databases to validate addresses and identify potential deliverability issues, it can prevent mistakes when providing shipping addresses.
The system verifies whether streets exist in a given area and validates address numbers within streets. With Inkit Verify, you've got all essential address validation features at your fingertips, helping you keep your customer data clean and valid.
The best part? It's all done seamlessly behind the scenes and easily integrates into your existing software ecosystem.
The Bottom Line
Is the buyer or seller responsible for a lost package?
The short answer is the seller, the business owner. You are responsible for the package until it is officially delivered.
To thrive, businesses need to find ways to work as efficiently as possible. With Inkit Verify, you can improve the efficiency of your mailings as well as overall customer satisfaction. And high mailing accuracy will help to both retain your existing customers and attract new ones.
Contact us for further information.