The spray and pray marketing approach is no longer working. Well, to be honest, it has never been a good choice. One-size-fits-all emails, postcards, pop-ups, and other single-channel messages rarely land in the right place.
That’s why you should adopt omnichannel trigger marketing. Omni-channel campaigns are fully tailored to customers’ needs and their fast-changing behavior. Thanks to automation software, your leads receive personalized messages at the right moment. You offer them a discount when it can influence the purchase decision. You give them instructions when they need help most. You always remain sensitive and attentive.
But how can you understand what your customers expect at a specific moment?
Use their actions and events as triggers. Make your omnichannel campaigns connected to real-time user activity with automation software. By focusing on the right triggers, you will be able to ensure the right interactions with customers.
In our article, we’ve collected seven common offline and digital marketing triggers. Discover the benefits of trigger campaign marketing and get some fresh ideas to start your marketing campaign.
What Is Omni-Channel Trigger Campaign Marketing?
Omni-channel campaigns are marketing campaigns based on seamless synchronization of multiple channels. Whenever customers go, they get the same customer experience and message. All the steps of the sales funnel are interrelated.
Note that speaking of omnichannel campaigns, we always mean trigger campaign marketing. Without setting up triggers, marketing teams won’t be able to go omnichannel. Automated response to events and customers’ actions is required to connect multiple marketing channels.
Benefits of Trigger Campaign Marketing
Trigger campaign marketing has some measurable advantages. This customer-centric strategy creates seamless user experiences, improves the quality of leads, and provides other benefits. Here are the most significant of them:
- Higher open rates and CTR. Trigger email campaigns have a 468% higher click rate than batch or blast email newsletters. With personalized, tailored, and relevant information, customers become more likely to click an email, ad, or social media post.
- Increased conversion rates. When you send an email based on triggers, conversion is 525% higher than with standard mailings. People appreciate customization and take action.
- More relevant messages. After you’ve correctly configured triggered omnichannel campaigns, every interaction with customers is relevant.
- Improved customer satisfaction. Trigger campaign marketing boosts customer loyalty and satisfaction. You don't bother your leads with useless generic messages.
- Automated customer segmentation. Software for omnichannel campaigns automatically categorizes customers based on their actions. This frees you from the need to segment your audience manually.
- Increased efficiency. Triggered emails are 497% more effective than bulk mailings. The same relates to triggered ads, social media posts, mobile app notifications, direct mail, and other communications. Personalization continuously improves efficiency.
Cost optimization. Even though you will need to invest in the implementation of omnichannel campaigns, ultimately, they will save you money. Since trigger campaign marketing runs automatically, managers spend less time (paid hours) to control it. Besides, you don’t squander your budget on communications that are irrelevant or counterproductive.
- More quality data about customers. Digital marketing triggers enable you to collect valuable information on customers’ behavioral patterns. You obtain unique details about your target audience that complements the demographic customer data.
- Competitive advantage. Since you provide better customer service thanks to digital marketing triggers, customers are more likely to choose you over competitors. In fact, 25% of companies still don’t use marketing automation. Not to speak of omnichannel campaigns that require advanced automation.
The most important thing you should know about trigger campaign marketing is--it will soon become a must. If you want to run a successful business and promote it online, you will have to switch to omnichannel campaigns. Without them, you will quickly lose to more agile and innovative companies.
7 Common Offline and Digital Marketing Triggers for Omni-Channel Campaigns (with Examples)
Some offline and digital marketing triggers are the gold standards of any omnichannel marketing strategy. If you want to implement trigger campaign marketing, make sure to use them.
#1. Registration completed
When a customer signs up for your tool, creates an e-commerce account, or makes the first purchase, it’s a significant event. Set up such actions as triggers to automatically send an email to the newcomer. You can also send a personalized welcome postcard to get off on the right foot.
#2. Click on a product
Track customer activity in your e-commerce store to use it for omnichannel campaigns. When a customer views a specific product but doesn’t purchase it, you should automatically display relevant ads. Use Facebook, Instagram, and other popular digital channels to remarket leads with ads.
#3. Transactional offline and digital marketing triggers
Transactional triggers are confirmation or informational messages that are a must-have for any business. Usually, these are emails or notifications. Make sure to send such messages when customers place an order, change their account details, need to update payment information or complete any other significant action. You may also need to send invoices, notices, and other transactional documents.
#4. Cart or wishlist abandonment
Cart abandonment rates range from 67 to 96%, depending on the industry. By keeping these customers, you increase turnover and sales. From our experience, the best way to make people come back are automated emails/ads followed by direct mail. Right after someone bounces, send them an email or show targeted ads. If they don’t take action for several days, go on with a reminder postcard. Just remember to avoid being pushy. Several reminders are enough.
#5. Purchase completed
Each time your leads purchase something online or offline, it’s an excellent occasion to sell them more. Use purchases as triggers to target customers with up-sell and complete-the-look offers. Emails or print catalogs based on shopping experience are the most effective for this.
#6. Joined loyalty program
When customers join your loyalty program, don’t forget to greet them and explain the rules. Most businesses do this by using automated emails and website pop-up messages. If you want to make your trigger campaign marketing more personalized, you can also send offline communications. For example, a branded postcard and a discount coupon code will become a great addition to digital messages.
#7. Milestone offline and digital marketing triggers
Turn important events in the customer lifecycle into triggers. When someone makes a tenth purchase, stays with your brand for two years, or reaches the next loyalty level, send them trigger-based messages. You can deliver such communications electronically or by mail to show customers you appreciate them.
These are just several examples of the most popular offline and digital marketing triggers. The events you will use as triggers depend on the behavior of your customers. Generally, if your leads repeatedly do the same things, think about using them in triggered omnichannel campaigns.
How Inkit Helps with Trigger Campaign Marketing
It supports automated address validation and autocomplete to check customers’ addresses for direct mail delivery. Verification makes trigger-based offline messages more likely to reach the destination.
With Inkit Render, you’ll automatically generate PDF documents at scale for paperless billing, account notices, compliance, and everything in between.
Besides, Inkit automates direct mail printing and delivery. The complete automation of direct mail communications allows you to include direct mail in omnichannel campaigns. And since Inkit supports numerous integrations, you can use it to connect other tools necessary for trigger campaign marketing.
Have any other questions about Inkit’s capabilities? Contact us to discuss them or get the demo.