PDFs are convenient documents that offer both text and images. However, you may find that there are occasions when you need to rotate the files and pages within. Fortunately, there are several ways to go about this, which you will discover in our guide below.
You can either do it online or offline - depending on your requirements.
For the former, we’ll be using third-party online tools, And to rotate pages offline, you can simply use Adobe as you’re about to see below.
One of the most common uses for PDF files is sharing scanned images of paper documents like contracts or receipts with other people.
In doing so, all parties involved know that what you’re sharing is an exact copy of the original document, not just a photo taken with your phone or tablet’s camera.
But what if you need to rotate the contents of the PDF? What steps need to be taken to achieve this?
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Different Methods to Rotate PDF Page In Adobe
- How to Rotate All Pages in a PDF File With Adobe
- How to Rotate PDF Pages Online With Third-Party Tools
- How to Save A PDF After Rotating
Different Methods to Rotate PDF Page In Adobe
Maybe you received a PDF file that isn’t properly positioned in a horizontal or vertical format based on your needs. By following some simple steps, you can make the PDF face the direction you need. There is more than one way to achieve this action, so explore the sections below to find the one that works best for you.
How to rotate a PDF by thumbnail
Rotating pages can be done for all or some of the pages within a document. Rotation can be done in 90° increments. You can achieve this by using either the rotate tools under “Page Thumbnails” or the rotate option, as discussed below.
- To begin, open the PDF using Acrobat DC.
- Next, choose “Tools,” then “Organize Pages”.
- You may also select “Organize Pages” located in the pane on the right.
- In Adobe DC’s secondary toolbar, select the page range where you would like to apply the rotation.
- Here, you have the option to choose “Even” or “Odd” Pages, as well as “Landscape,” “Portrait,” or “All” Pages.
- You may also enter the page number that you wish to use to perform the operation.
- After indicating the desired page range, choose either clockwise 90° or counterclockwise 90° for the desired direction.
- Clicking the buttons in the page thumbnail view to apply page rotation can be used, as well.
Please note that you can temporarily alter the view of the page by selecting “View,” “Rotate View,” then “Counterclockwise,” or “Clockwise.” When you open the PDF again, the original orientation of the page will be restored.
How to rotate a PDF by right-clicking
You may also choose to use your mouse to complete the necessary rotations.
- Use the PDF reader to open the document you wish to rotate.
- Click “View” in the uppermost toolbar.
- Hover your mouse cursor over “Rotate View”.
- Choose the direction that you wish to rotate the document.
- You may also right-click anywhere on the document and select “Rotate”.
- From there or using the “Rotate View” option above, click either “Counterclockwise” or “Clockwise” to rotate the PDF 90° in your chosen direction. To flip 180°, simply mouse-click two times in any one direction.
Looking for an even faster way to rotate your PDF files? Try using hotkeys! Check out the instructions below for additional methods.
How to rotate a PDF with hotkeys
To make your life easier, you can use shortcuts on your keyboard for faster rotating.
- Use the PDF reader to open the document you wish to rotate
- Using your computer keyboard, press “SHIFT, CTRL, +”
- This will effectively rotate your PDF clockwise
- Again using your computer keyboard, press “SHIFT, CTRL, -”
- This will effectively rotate your PDF counterclockwise
Be sure to save the PDF once all pages have been aligned correctly according to your needs. All pages will remain exactly where they were when you open the file again.
Please note that the instructions above use quotations only to house the keys you need to press. You do not press quotation keys at any time. Moreover, the “+” symbol is designated along with the “=” key on your keyboard. Thus, it acts as the same key.
So, pressing the SHIFT key along with the CTRL key and the + (plus) key will rotate your PDF clockwise. Simply replace the + (plus) key with the - (minus) key to rotate the document counterclockwise.
How to Rotate All Pages in a PDF File With Adobe
So far, we’ve looked at methods to rotate single pages in PDFs. But what if you need to rotate an entire document that consists of multiple pages? It’s easy! Continue reading to learn a couple of different methods.
Rotating all pages of a PDF with Adobe Acrobat
Let’s look at how to achieve this using Adobe Acrobat first. Then, we’ll explore how to do it using third-party apps.
- To begin, view the PDF by opening it in Adobe Acrobat.
- Then, using “Organize Pages,” select “Tools,” then “Organize Pages”.
- Please note that you can also find the “Organize Pages” option in the pane on the right.
- Now, select the pages you wish to rotate.
- You can rotate all pages or just a few pages by pressing the shift key and clicking the pages you wish to rotate.
- You may also select a range from the secondary toolbar entitled “Enter Page Range”.
- When you’re ready to rotate the pages, simply click the appropriate buttons in the page thumbnail view.
- Please keep in mind that rotation works in 90° increments. Click the buttons in the page thumbnail view to apply page rotation.
- When you’re finished, click “Choose a Different Folder” to choose a folder and navigate to it. Save the file by naming it and clicking “Save.”
If you find that certain pages need to face different directions, you can always go back and make the appropriate adjustments on a page-by-page basis.
Need more info on managing or editing your PDF files with Adobe Reader?
How to Rotate PDF Pages Online With Third-Party Tools
There are a few third-party tools and online apps that let you do this, here are a few options.
Rotating all pages with PDFComplete
PDFComplete is a popular third-party application that lets you perform many of the same tasks found in Adobe Acrobat, including multiple page rotation.
- Open the PDF
- Choose the “Rotate” icon located in the toolbar
- You may also right-click on the PDF and choose “Rotate Pages”
- Select the direction of rotation using the drop-down menu
- You may select “Clockwise” or “Counterclockwise” (90° increments)
- Choosing the “Invert” option will rotate it 180°
- Now, here is where you need to dictate the number of pages you want to be rotated. This is done via “Radio” buttons. You may choose “All,” or you may select individual page numbers
- After you’ve made your selections, click “OK” to see the changes you made
If you’re looking for an affordable alternative to Adobe, PDFComplete should let you perform the essential PDF tasks with ease.
There are also many online-based tools that you can use to achieve the same function, as seen below.
Rotating all PDF pages online with SmallPDF
SmallPDF is a free online tool that lets you manipulate PDF files in different ways. This one is an absolute breeze to use, too. So if you’re looking to bypass lengthy steps and downloads, go to SmallPDF’s website and follow the steps below.
- Upload your PDF. Scroll down until you see “See All PDF Tools” and click on it.
- Scroll down until you see “Rotate PDF” and click on it.
- Click on “Choose Files” and select the PDF you wish to rotate.
- You’ll then see thumbnails of each page and Clockwise and Counterclockwise arrows below them.
- Click the desired arrow.
- Click “Apply Changes” when you’re finished.
That’s it! You can also drag and drop your PDF files into the provided window or add more PDFs after you choose your initial file.
How to Save A PDF After Rotating
In Adobe, you simply need to select the desired folder in which you want to save your PDF. Once you’ve chosen it, you’ll need to name the file with the desired filename.
Finally, just click “Save” to complete the step or use the “CTRL+S” shortcut.
In other apps, this action might be slightly different. In SmallPDF, for example, saving your rotated PDF is verbalized as “Apply Changes.”
You have many different options available to you to rotate PDFs. Whether you choose to stick with licensed Adobe software or use third-party programs, you can achieve the same action in numerous ways and with relative ease.
Best of all, you can use free online tools like SmallPDF if you are on a budget and don’t want to pay for the subscription cost associated with Adobe products. Just keep in mind that you won’t have access to the same robust features found in Adobe software.