In today’s fast-changing world, automated PDF document generation is a huge time saver.
More so in organizations that rely on documents to facilitate their business operations.
When looking at large-scale automation, PDF automation software is an ideal solution as it can automatically create personalized PDF documents as per the required format and store them for references and compliance.
Whether you want to generate 10 confidential reports or 10,000+ customer statements automatically.
In this article, we'll explore everything you need to know about PDF automation and how you can do it at scale.
Among others, you'll learn:
- What Is PDF Document Generation And How Does It Work?
- 5 Documents And Template Examples For Scaling Document Generation
- 3 Simple Steps To Start Scaling Document Generation Fast
- 5 Questions When Evaluating Document Generation Software
What Is PDF Document Generation And How Does It Work?
PDF document generation is the process of creating a PDF document from another file type.
This can be done manually, by using Adobe Acrobat or another PDF creation software, or automatically, by using a PDF generation tool.
Automated PDF generation tools like Render can be used to create PDF documents from a variety of input types, including HTML, images, and JSON.
These are used to create PDFs at scale, making them ideal for businesses that need to generate large numbers of documents on a regular basis automatically.
How does automated PDF generation help companies?
Automated PDF generation is a valuable asset, especially for companies that need to generate large numbers of documents on a regular basis.
As such, there are many benefits that come with automated PDF generation, but perhaps the most obvious is that automation helps save time and money.
This is because automating reduces the time it takes to create PDFs as well as automating other processes such as extracting data from databases and creating the PDF layout.
Of course, this also means that businesses can save money, by reducing labor costs.
That said, here are more benefits of automated PDF generation besides saving time:
- Greater accuracy: Automated tools can generate PDFs with greater accuracy than manual methods. This ensures that documents are always up to date and compliant with company standards.
- Ensures document consistency: Automated PDF generation helps companies to ensure that their PDFs are consistent in terms of format and appearance. This is because the software can automatically apply the company’s branding standards to PDFs.
- Helps cut down business costs: Through automated PDF generation, businesses can save money on costs such as printing costs. This is because the software can generate PDFs that are optimized for print, thus reducing the amount of ink and paper required.
- Faster transmission of documents: When you switch to automated PDF generation, it also means you can distribute PDFs created electronically. This is due to the fact that the software can generate PDFs that can be emailed or uploaded to websites.
- Easier tracking of PDFs: Automated PDF generation helps companies to track who opens and views their PDFs. This is because the software can generate PDFs with unique tracking codes that allow the company to see when and where the PDF was accessed.
Now, let’s take a look at what automated PDF document generation looks like practically, with examples.
5 Documents And Template Examples For Scaling Document Generation
As we have established above, automated PDF generation is critical for performing mundane document generation tasks faster and efficiently.
Below, we cover 5 document templates suitable for automated PDF document generation. Each of these templates or documents can be used in various industries to not only help save time but also scale your document generation requirements.
First, financial documents are used by every company. Thus, the more reason to automate them for faster document generation and accuracy.
In this context, financial documents include:
- Cash receipts.
- Financial statements.
- Tax documents.
- Agreements and claims.
- And more.
In addition to internal documents, many businesses also need to generate marketing materials like flyers, brochures, and catalogs.
For companies that work in marketing, automation comes in handy to speed up the document generation process while at the same time scaling up their output.
Another type of document that is often automated is contracts.
This includes both legal and business contracts. Contract creation can be a time-consuming process, but it is crucial for businesses. Thus, automating the creation of contracts, can help guarantee precision and save time.
This is based on standardized templates in which you can automatically insert dynamic, customer information with an API request.
So, for example, once you receive a new client’s information from your online web form, you can automatically generate a contract based on their info.
Once you have a standardized template, you can automatically fill it in with customer information like:
- Full name.
- Company name.
- Contact information.
- And more.
Letters and memos
Letters and memos are essential for businesses to communicate with their employees and clients, but they can take a lot of time to draft and write.
Adopting the PDF document automation process allows for bulk creation of these documents, thus reducing the tedious work of creating them manually.
Other types of documents that can be automated include:
- Medical records.
- Employee files.
- Confirmation letters.
- Patient records.
- Insurance claims.
- And more.
3 Simple Steps To Start Scaling Document Generation Fast
When you're looking to scale up your PDF generation process, there are a few things you can do to ensure a smooth transition.
The steps you should take to scale your company PDF generation are as follows:
1. Start with a clear goal in mind
When you're first starting out with document generation, it's important to have a clear goal in mind.
What do you want to achieve with this technology? Do you want to save time on manual tasks? Reduce the number of errors in your documents? Improve communication with customers or partners?
Once you know what you want to achieve, you can start to put together a plan for how document generation can help you reach your goal.
2. Choose the right solution
There are a number of different document generation solutions on the market, so it's important to choose one that will fit your specific needs.
If you're looking for a solution that will save you time, for example, you'll want to choose a solution that offers automatic data capture and template creation.
If you're looking to improve communication, on the other hand, you might want a solution that offers document automation and electronic signatures.
3. Put together a pilot project
Once you've chosen a document generation solution, the next step is to put together a pilot project. This will help you test out the technology and see how it can benefit your specific business needs.
It's important to involve all relevant stakeholders in your pilot project so that you can get feedback from everyone who will be using the document generation solution.
Following these three essential steps will help you start scaling document generation fast and achieve your business goals.
Of course, for all this, you need the right document generation software. Here’s how to narrow down your search.
5 Questions When Evaluating Document Generation Software
The right document generation software can make a big difference in how efficiently your business runs. It is also critical in your scaling plans.
When evaluating document generation software, consider asking yourself the following questions to help you make an informed decision for your business needs:
- What is the document generation software's ability to handle large volumes of data?
- How important are the documents to your business operations?
- Can the software be customized to suit your specific needs?
- Who will be using the document generation software?
- What is your budget?
To help you decide on the right document generation software, and an even more detailed breakdown of this (and more questions), see our full guide on questions to evaluate your document generation software.
Where To Go From Here
If you ARE ready to start scaling your PDF document generation though, you might want to look into Render - a document generation platform with built-in security.
Render excels at taking your paperless operations to the next level, while staying secure and compliant with your industry's security standards.
And sectors that already benefit from Inkit include:
- Government & Defense.
- Financial & Insurance.
- Transport & Logistics.
- Admin Support Services.
- Information & Telecommunication.
- And more.