Usually, when we scan multiple pages, the device creates a new file upon each scan which is great unless you want to combine pages.
But sometimes, you need to scan multiple pages into one portable document format which can be quite tricky.
You might be wondering if it’s possible to scan multiple pages to PDF without using a physical scanner?
And the answer is: Yes, it is possible!
All you have to do is download a scanner application on your device.
These apps are easy to use, offer high accuracy, and you save the files to portable document format. Moreover, you can get them free of cost and at reasonable prices in the play store and Apple store.
If you’re wondering how to do so in order to start scanning multiple pages with one PDF, here’s what we’ll cover:
- When to Scan Multiple Pages Into One PDF
- 5 Easiest Ways to Scan Multiple Pages into One PDF
- How to Merge PDF Files Online?
- How to Save or Print a Single Page out of a PDF file?
When to Scan Multiple Pages Into One PDF
Scanning multiple pages into a single portable PDF document has a ton of benefits and can be a great way to save time.
Here’s when you should consider scanning multiple pages into one PDF.
Reduced file size
Large files are hard to send.
Even more so if you’re dealing with a long PDF full of images and visual assets.
You need to compress them to a size that allows you to send them easily.
In that case, you’d need to compress your PDF file.
But even that can be inconvenient if you have to zip different files separately
It requires your time and effort.
Instead, you can easily deliver your files after scanning them into a single PDF file.
Reduce multiple attachments
If you have different files for each page of the original PDF, you‘d end up with a lot of email attachments when you want to share them.
So, scanning multiple pages makes it easy to send just one file containing combined pages to another person.
Maintain the document format
Another benefit of scanning multiple pages in one PDF is that you send the file across in the same format.
So, when you scan multiple files into a PDF, all the files retain their original formatting. This allows the receiver to see the files in the same format.
5 Easiest Ways to Scan Multiple Pages into One PDF
All popular operating systems, including Android, macOS, Windows, and IOS, allow you to scan more than one page into one PDF.
Let’s have a look at the different ways you can do so.
- Scanning multiple pages in one PDF with Adobe Acrobat
- Scanning multiple documents on Windows with NAPS2.
- Scanning multiple pages into one PDF on an Android
- Scanning multiple pages into one PDF on a Mac.
- Scanning multiple pages into one PDF on iOS.
#1 How to Scan Multiple Pages into One PDF File and Combine Pages Using Adobe Acrobat?
While using Adobe Acrobat and scanner, you can directly create a PDF file from hard copy.
Allow Acrobat to determine the type of content on the hard copy.
Depending on your preferences, you can also use Autodetect color mode or use presets (color document, black and white document, color image, and Grayscale document).
You can configure custom scanning options or presets with selected settings.
However, while scanning multiple documents on Mac OS, you require ICA (Image Capture) and TWAIN.
Scanning a Paper using Acrobat
On Windows, if you already have a WIA scanner, you can simply utilize the scan button on the scanner to create a PDF file. Hit the scan button and choose Adobe Acrobat from the application’s list registered in Windows.
Now, choose scanner and document preset or custom scan in the Acrobat scan interface.
Action Summary: Tools>Create PDF. Explore the options by selecting the scanner.
Scan a PDF using Adobe Acrobat on Windows
Create a PDF from the scanner interface. Click the gear icon or settings to see all the options for the preferred setting.
To Scan a PDF using Acrobat on Mac
Create a PDF from the scanner interface. Select a scanner and click "Next" to view the settings for the selected scanner.
#2 Scanning Multiple Documents on Windows using NAPS2
Windows PCs come pre-installed with Windows Fax and Scan that allows users to scan documents. However, this facility doesn’t let you create a single PDF from multiple scans.
In batch scan mode of free open source apps like NAPS2. You can scan several pages and save them as one PDF file.
Note: NAPS2 (Not Another PDF Scanner 2) is only one of the many PDF scanner apps that can do this. But we’ll be using it as an example for below.
If you already have the scanner driver installed, use this app to scan multiple pages into PDF as follows:
Step 1: Use a cable to connect your Windows PC to the scanner and download NAPS2. Follow the prompt; install and launch the application on your system.
Step 2: Select “profiles” from the main menu and click on +New. Now add the display name, and choose the device and hit ok.
Step 3: Configure diverse alternatives at the screen, and hit OK on the bottom.
Step 4: Load the first page for scanning in the scanner. Back to NAPS2, spot and hit the small arrowhead right next to Scan, then select Batch Scan. Then again, press the Ctrl + B key combination.
Step 5: From the Profile drop-down menu, choose the newly constructed file in the window. Select Multiple Scans and follow prompts. Now, select Save to Single File from the output section.
Step 6: In the File Path box, select the 3 dots to choose the folder to save the PDF file. Finally, click on “Start” to start the scanning process. Keep following the prompt, and once you are done scanning all, click done.
#3 How to Scan Multiple Pages Into One PDF Android?
Google Drive is one of the apps used to combine multiple page scans into one PDF file. Here is how;
1. Install the Google Drive app and launch it on your Android device.
2. From the bottom-right corner, tap the add (+) icon. To open the scan function, click “scan” and point your Android's camera toward the page you want to scan.
3. As the document fits perfectly in the frame of your phone, hit the shutter button.
- If you are satisfied with the outcome, hit the check icon to save the first scan. If not, tap X to resume scanning and preview. To include a page to this new PDF, tap the (+) icon at the bottom left. Repeat this process to scan all pages.
- Finally, save the single PDF containing the multiple scans by hitting “save.”
- Forename the PDF, select account, choose your preferred folder to save the file and hit Save.
#4 How to Scan Multiple Pages Into One PDF on Mac?
PdfElement is is an all-in-one PDF editor that you can use scan multiple pages into one pdf on Mac.
- Launch PDFElement on your Mac. Spot and hit "file" from the top toolbar. Select "New," and tap "PDF from scanner" from the drop-down menu."
- Once you have selected the scanner, next comes selecting pages you want to scan. Explore the custom scan window, set the preferred orientations, and click "scan."
- As the first page scans, a prompt will appear asking if you want to scan more pages; click "scan more pages," and you can continue scanning pages. Make a file and save it to your preferred device.
#5 How to Scan Multiple Pages Into One PDF on iOS?
If you have an iOS11 or higher version, you can scan files into a single format using the default Notesapp.
Follow these simple steps:
1. Open ‘’Note’’ and Create New Note at the bottom
2. Click ‘’Scan Documents’’
3. Take a picture of the documents with your camera
4. Click on Retake
5. Scan all documents and save them
6. Select and then Share the scanned documents
7. Click Print
8. select ‘’Share’’ and save it as PDF.
How to Merge PDF Files Online?
There are many online PDF tools available that let you merge documents from your browser.
Here’s how you can do so with SmallPDF:
1. Open SmallPDF’s online merger tool (which you can find online). Follow the prompt, drag and drop the file to the pdf combiner—either sort entire files or individual pages in the order you want.
2. Add files and rotate or delete files as needed. Click "Merge PDF!" To merge and download the PDF.
How to Save or Print a Single Page out of a PDF file?
Here is how you can save or print a single page out of a PDF file in the most hassle-free way.
1. Launch the pdf editor and open the PDF file you want to save or print.
2. From the top toolbar, select “file” and choose “print” from the drop-down menu.
3. Choose the page you want to save from the pdf file. Now, from the bottom left corner click on the pdf and select “save as pdf.”
4. Select the designation where you want to save the file and click ok. You have successfully saved it in the new location.
Note You should have a PDF editing program to make this method work. If you're using a Mac, it already has Preview. Microsoft Word and Google Chrome work equally well. Or you can use many free PDF editors.
Scanning multiple pages into one PDF might sound tricky, but as you can see, it’s very straightforward.
Whether you are using macOS, iOS, Windows 10, or any other platform, you can scan multiple files into a single PDF using different methods covered above.
We have explained all the methods that are easy to follow. We hope this guide was helpful and enables you to scan multiple pages without encountering any hiccup.
Need more info on managing your PDF documents?
Be sure to also read: