Sending files in PDF format is an easy and convenient way of sharing documents in any formal setting, be it for reviewing, printing, or storage purposes.
The PDF file format is compatible with operating systems of all computing devices too.
So, you can always send a PDF file up to a certain size and layout to your recipients on any channel, be it email, text, or chat.
In today’s guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about sending PDF files as an attachment on various platforms available on your device:
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- Why Send PDF Files As Email Attachments
- How Can I Send A PDF file As An Email Attachment?
- How to Send a PDF File As An Attachment On Gmail
- How Can I Send a PDF File As An Attachment On Outlook?
- How Can I Send A PDF File As An Attachment On Google Docs?
- How Can I Send A PDF File As An Attachment On Dropbox?
- How Can I Send A PDF File As An Attachment On WhatsApp?
Why Send PDF File As An Email Attachment?
The PDF file format is the best and most recommended way of sharing important documents, especially in professional settings where you need to share private and sensitive documents.
Sending a PDF file as an attachment over email helps you:
- Deliver sensitive information and updates quickly and on time.
- Create a record of sent data and files.
- Enhanced document security.
- Access to the PDF file any time you want on any device.
Let’s take a look at how each benefit works in practice.
Delivering information quickly and on time
Sending a PDF file as an attachment only takes a few button presses to complete, as you’re about to see below.
Depending on the size of the PDF file you are sending, it can take only a few seconds to a few minutes for the file to attach to the email, chat, or text you are sending.
Most email platforms allow you to attach single or multiple files to the message body at a time.
This method of delivering documents saves you the time you could spend to accomplish other tasks.
Create a record of sent data and files
When you send a PDF file as an attachment, you retain a copy of the file on the email or platform servers which you can refer to if and when you need to.
Sending a PDF file as an attachment helps you retain a record of who sent the file and who received it and a history of when it was sent or received.
You also have the freedom to save your outgoing or incoming PDF file attachments for permanent storage, where you can always retrieve them for reference. And you can look up the specific email as well as the date it was sent on.
Enhanced document security
A PDF file sent as an attachment retains its original security features. The recipients cannot edit the information unless the author allows editing.
Sending a PDF file as an attachment allows it to be scanned by automated virus scanners or antivirus software on computers to guard against viruses. As such, you can send or receive PDF file attachments without the fear of compromising its security.
Access to the PDF file anytime
When you send a PDF file as an attachment, you make it easy for your recipients to access the file on any device and from any location. Your readers have unlimited access to the PDF file and can review and provide their responses regarding the data therein at all times.
Sending a PDF file as an attachment also allows users to open them and review it without intrusion or interruptions by advertisements or data from other sources.
Now, let’s take a look at a couple of different ways to send a PDF file as an attachment.
How Can I Send A PDF File As An Email Attachment?
You can send a PDF file as an attachment on its own or as part of an email, chat message, or as a clickable link that opens to reveal the document.
Gmail, a free email platform from Google Inc, allows you to single or multiple PDF files as an attachment as long as it does not exceed 20MBs.
If it does exceed 20MBs though, Gmail allows you to compress your PDF to a smaller size to easily attach to your message body.
You also have the option of sending your PDF file as an attachment through Google Docs.
Google Docs is a document processing platform that links directly with Gmail to allow you to create PDF files and send them directly to your recipients for review or printing.
You can send a PDF file as an email attachment on Microsoft Outlook. As it’s commonly referred to, Outlook is a Microsoft app that allows you to send and receive email messages with file attachments from your computer or mobile device.
If you wish to send a PDF file as an attachment on an instant messaging platform, you can send it via Whatsapp or most messaging channels - from Slack, Messenger, Telegram, and more.
If you have a large PDF file that you need to send in its exact document size, you can also send it as a shared link on Dropbox, Google Drive, and other file hosting service brands. To do that, you simply have to upload it from your account and send the ‘share as’ link.
In short, there are a lot of ways you can send a PDF file as an attachment. You can:
- Send a PDF file as a Gmail attachment.
- Send a PDF file as an Outlook attachment.
- Send a PDF file as a Google Docs attachment.
- Send a PDF file as a Dropbox attachment.
- Send a PDF file as a WhatsApp attachment.
Let’s take a look at a step-by-step guide for each channel.
How to Send a PDF File As An Attachment On Gmail
To send a PDF file as an attachment on Gmail:
- Open Gmail and sign in to your account.
- Click on the Compose button on the left-hand side of your screen.
- On the pane that appears on the right-hand side of your screen, enter the address/es of your recipient/s.
- Type in your email’s subject line.
- Type in your message in the space provided for the message body.
- Under the message body, click on the Attach A File icon.
- Select the PDF file you wish to attach to your email message in your storage location.
- Click the Open option to attach the PDF file to your email message.
- Click on the Send button to send your PDF file as an attachment to your email message.
Now, let’s take a look at how to send PDF files on other email platforms.
How Can I Send a PDF File As An Attachment On Outlook?
You can send a PDF file as an attachment on Microsoft using the following steps:
- Open Microsoft Outlook on your computer or mobile phone.
- Click on the File menu and select the New option.
- Click on Mail Message.
- On the To field provided, input the email address/s of your recipient/s.
- Type in the subject line of your email.
- Type in the message you wish to send on the field provided.
- Click on the Message tab.
- On the Include Group option, click on the Attach File option.
- Select the PDF file you wish to attach to your Outlook email.
- Click Insert to attach the PDF file to the email.
- Select the Send option to send the email.
How Can I Send A PDF File As An Attachment On Google Docs?
Google Docs allows you to create and send PDF files either as an attachment or link to your recipient/s.
To share your file as a PDF attachment on Google Docs, you need to:
- Open Google Drive on your device and select the Documents section.
- Select the document you wish to send as a PDF attachment.
- On the toolbar menu, click on the File option.
- On the pull-down menu that appears, select the Email option.
- Click on the Email This File option.
- On the message panel that appears, enter the address/s you wish to send the PDF attachment to.
- On the message field, type in your message, if any.
- The Email This File option automatically converts your document to a PDF format for sharing with others and displays a ticked PDF option on the panel.
After that, click on the Send option to send your PDF file as a Google Docs attachment.
You can also send a PDF file as a link attachment through Google Docs. To do this:
- Sign in to your Gmail account and open Google Docs, or directly open Google Drive from your mobile phone.
- Locate the document you wish to share as a PDF link attachment and open it.
- Click on the Share button on the right side of your screen.
- On the panel that appears on your screen, click on the Get Link option.
Finally, you can:
- Adjust your settings to restrict or allow access permissions to your recipients.
- Click on the Done option or Copy Link option to get a link to your PDF document.
- Paste your PDF file link and send it as an attachment to your email, text, or chat.